Find it on Pinterest
Cooks Note: I have never attempted to make granola bars. To be honest, I thought why make something like granola bars when you can buy them? Well, I was wrong. As I get older I realize there are so many artificial ingredients and sodium and crap in the stuff you buy on the shelves, why not make a version you feel safe eating? That is where Ina Garten comes in. All of her recipes are amazing, but this one I am in love with. This was simple, quick and now I want to eat the whole pan. Try them, you will love them!
- 2 C whole oats
- 1 C sliced almonds
- 1 C sweetened coconut
- 1/2 C wheat germ
- 3 T unsalted butter
- 2/3 C honey
- 1/4 C light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 C chopped dates
- 1/2 C chopped, dried apricots
- 1/2 C dried cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a large sheets pan, mix together the oats, almonds and coconut. Toast in the oven for 10 minutes then dump into a large mixing bowl. Add wheat germ and reduce oven temp to 300.
2. While oats are toasting, combine the butter, honey, brown sugar, vanilla and salt in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat and cook for one minute once it reaches boiling.
3. Pour the hot mixture over the ingredients in the bowl. Add the dried fruit and mix well.
4. Put mixture into a slightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish and press firmly with wet hands.
5. Bake 25-30 minutes. Allow to cool completely 2-3 hours, before slicing and serving.
This Pinspiration comes from Ina Garten (The Barefoot Contessa)