Aug 31, 2014

Italian Meatloaf

Find it on Pinterest


Cooks Note: I have made the same meatloaf my mom makes for years. I love it, my family loves it and it rocks. But, since I am Italian, this Italian Meatloaf intrigued me. I figured it would taste like a giant delicious meatball smothered in sauce and cheese and I was pretty much right. This was a huge hit with my family (kids included) and will become part of our "Do again" list, one that has formed since I have started cooking my way through Pinterest. Make this one, it will not disappoint! Enjoy!


Ingredients:

1 yellow onion diced
1 fire roasted red pepper, diced (I used a couple roasted red peppers from a jar)
Olive Oil for sauteing
5 cloves of garlic, minced
1 vine ripened tomato, diced
1 Tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
1 egg
3/4 cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 1/4 lb ground beef or turkey
1/2 cup Italian breadcrumbs
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 Tablespoons Parmesan, grated
1 1/2 cups mozzarella, grated (I used 2 cups)




Directions:

1. Cut up all of your veggies
2. Heat your skillet with enough olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan, over medium heat
3. Add the onion and the peppers, saute till tender.Add garlic, saute till fragrant and and Italian seasoning and tomato, saute 3-4 minutes then set aside to cool. 
4. Preheat oven to 400 F. In a bowl whisk together egg, 1/3 cup tomato sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Add ground meat, bread crumbs and black pepper, Parmesan and vegetables. Combine with a fork and mix in 1 cup of mozzarella. 
5. In a large roasting pan, form the meat into a loaf. Spread the remaining sauce and mozzarella over the top of the meatloaf. Bake 45 min or till no longer pink in the middle. Let sit 5 min before serving. 


This recipe comes from Cinnamonspiceandeverythingnice.com






No comments :